If you are an adoptive parent (or member of an adoptive family)
There may be times throughout your child’s life when you would find it helpful to talk to someone outside the family about issues relating to adoption. You may, for example, want some ideas abut how to discuss adoption with your child, or how to react to and cope with your child’s feelings about his or her adoption.
The agencies in SWAAC offer various services which may include:
- The chance to meet up with other adopters and adoptive families
- Workshops and meetings to help you explain adoption to your children
- Discussion and counselling on any aspect of adoption
- Access to therapeutic services
- Guidance regarding the appropriate liaison or referral to other agencies eg health or education
- Newsletters and information about research, reading material etc.
- Assistance with contact issues
- Financial support All individuals are treated with respect and this is a confidential service.
If you are affected by adoption and feel the need of some support then please contact the adoption team in the local authority where you live or the agency that dealt with the adoption.
Please remember that the provision of a service is subject to an assessment of need.